Tuesday, January 25, 2011

We (me and the breastmilk) made it home!

I certainly had some major anxiety about my trip to DC today. First, there was the potential for snow Tuesday evening, which would mean that I could get to DC, but then wouldn't be able to get home that evening. Two of best friends live there, so of all the places to get stuck, that would be my first choice! But, with a hungry baby at home and not enough of a milk stash in my freezer, Jake would be one p-o'ed little guy.

Then, I had not one, but two nightmares about missing my flight. Seriously, I was running down I-40 in my dream trying to get there. So, when I ventured out this morning at 5 AM - oh yes, it was early - I had no idea what to expect. I packed up all my pump parts and bottles and managed somehow to get them all into the same briefcase as my laptop.

As I was driving to the airport, I pictured having to sit in the TSA security area for over an hour like one woman had to recently in Phoenix, because I mistakenly watched this video the night before I left. It didn't exactly give me confidence that things were going to go smoothly.

But, you know what?!?!? Everything did! I arrived at RDU and put my pump and everything through security and they immediately flagged it for screening. I was a bit surprised because I thought the leg home would be where I would have the issues. I mean, I didn't even have any milk with me yet! The TSA official - a young guy - took my bag over to the side and asked me about the contents of my bag. He was very respectful and professional. It ended up that the cooler pack I used was the issue, so he swabbed it and then I was on my way!

Got to the conference hotel and took on my first pumping session. I did end up having to pump in the bathroom, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I work in highway safety and the ratio of men to women is like 10 to 1. Normally, this irritates me. But in this case, it meant that the ladies room was practically empty the entire time I was pumping, so it was like I had my own private lactation room! 

After a good meeting - oh yeah, that was the entire purpose of my trip - and a wonderful lunch at my favorite Thai restaurant in DC, I was back off to the airport. I decided to get through security first and then pump again once I got to the terminal. My thinking was that if I had any issues and had to end up dumping the milk, I would at least be able to save the milk I pumped once I got through security.

My experience at DCA security? Pretty much the same as RDU. I informed them ahead of time that I had "medical liquids" and they pulled me out to inspect my bags. This time the TSA official was a women - and a young mother herself. She has a 9 month old daughter at home and we chatted about our babies as she inspected my stuff. She was also very respectful and understanding.

Next pumping session - also in the bathroom - was fine. The DC airport actually has a nursing room in the bathroom area, but it was occupied! Even though I was in a bathroom stall, I still felt more comfortable just knowing that there was support for breastfeeding in the area.

So overall, everything went really well! I managed to balance work with life today, and even caught an earlier flight to get home in time to eat dinner with my family and tuck the boys into bed. All is well in this girl's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment