Saturday, January 22, 2011

Project Paper


This month I am all about organizing and cleaning our house, so instead of questioning it - I am just going with it! I decided to take on the Project Paper Challenge from the IHeart Organizing blog and I've been working on it all week. It seems like we always have little stacks of paper, bills, magazines EVERYWHERE all over the house and they drive me crazy. When I read about Jenn's challenge, I decided it was time to get organized. We already have a pretty nice filing cabinet that came with our desk, so it was really just a matter of getting a handle on all of the paper and actually getting the files into the folders.

Most of these "piles" tend to migrate to this area...Our living room/office area downstairs.


PS - yes, those are Christmas presents. We still have not had a chance to exchange with Scott's side of the family, but we'll be celebrating Christmas 2.0 soon!!! 

Once they sit on the desk for a few weeks/months, they tend to get moved down here.


This picture is funny to me. That's the filing cabinet. The files are sitting on top of it. So close, yet still so far.

Tired of the piles, I needed a plan. The first thing we did to get a handle on the paper was to go paperless! Since we were already paying bills online and getting statements via email, it seemed the natural next step to stop the statements for most of the accounts that we could. I am hoping this really helps with the excess paper - and save a tree or two in the process!

Next I worked on a system to keep the paper we needed to have in check. I found this notebook on sale at Walmart and thought it was perfect to keep the papers we needed. Using my trusty label maker, I labeled each folder. The first two categories are To Do and Bills and then each family member got a section, followed by an area for coupons.


Now, when we check the mail or bring in papers from school/work, we'll file them in this area. Then you fold it up and the papers/piles are out of sight! I'm planning to glean the papers at least monthly and then transition any items we need to keep into the filing cabinets we already have in place.

I also used several IKEA media bins we already had to organize all of the random stuff we had lying out in this area.This made the area look much neater and cleaner.

Lastly, I placed a file holder on top of the filing cabinet - primarily to keep computer paper in, but it will also be a place for papers to sit while waiting to be filed.


Once I had the system down, then I could sort through all of the existing files, shred the ones we no longer needed, file the ones we did and get everything straightened up. Here's the before and after...

BEFORE

AFTER

12 comments:

  1. Wahoo!! Linky party is tomorrow! Make sure you share your success with everyone then! You should be so proud, it looks incredible!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the walmart tip! I got the same notebook in black, thanks to you. Hopefully it'll contain our counter clutter better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow what a difference! May I ask what exactly you put in the blue boxes. I'd like to do similar but worry that what I put in there might never see the light of day again! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! I made four labels - Correspondence, Office Supplies, Accessories and CDs/DVDs. In Correspondence, I keep notecards, thank you notes and stamps. In Supplies, I keep paper clips, post-its, staples, etc. In Accessories, I put camera cords, data drives, etc. In CDs/DVDs, both the blank CDs and the ones we have with pictures and other files.

    I tried not to put anything in them that we use a lot. For example, we have a "PAID" stamp for bills and we use it quite a bit (unfortunately :)) so I kept that out. Everything I put in them used to be scattered in several different places, so I love that's it all in one place now. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job! Your going to really enjoy having everything organized in your office!

    Becky B.
    www.organizingmadefun.blogspot.com
    Organizing Made Fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great. The boxes just look so nice lined up there.
    I found you from I heart Organizing. I'd love for you to stop by and share with my readers on my Organizing Mission Monday. I am working on offices.
    Since I'm not on blogger, here is my blog link
    Thanks
    http://www.organizewithsandy.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by! Would love for you to pick up my Organizing Mission Monday button too if you'd like! :)
    I look forward to seeing more of the neat stuff you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks re what the labels are... am thinking I need me a shelf to start with LOL then some lovely boxes... :) thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your new system!! :)

    I'm out looking for ideas right now because my paper piles are a mess!! I used to be uber organized, but ever since I bought my little house I can't seem to find my organizing groove.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those blue boxes, they are so pretty! I just organized some papers and it feels awesome!

    ReplyDelete